Monday, August 8, 2011

Cookie recipe #1: Chocolate Peanut Butter Surprise Cookies

My babies will be turning 1 and 2 in November so I thought I'd get started on party planning.  I am planning a Milk and Cookies party so I need to start trying out cookie recipes.  This is my first one and I'm sorry to say it will not be getting an invitation.

The cookies are yummy and I really have to force myself to stop thinking about them so I don't eat them all in one day but they were a little frustrating to put together.  We were fine until assembly.  Hubby and I did it together and we both really struggled with getting the PB filling completely enclosed in the chocolate dough since it was a bit crumbly (maybe our fault and not the recipe) and therefore hard to mold which is exactly what you have to do.  We have a few ugly cookies but overall they turned out fine.

The only reason I won't make them for the party will be to reduce stress.  Maybe another time, Cookie.


And the recipe was found at Pennies on a Platter via Pinterest.

Yield: 2-3 dozen cookies
1½ cups all-purpose flour
½ cup unsweetened cocoa
½ tsp baking soda
¼ tsp salt
½ cup granulated sugar (plus more for dipping)
½ cup packed brown sugar
½ cup unsalted butter, softened
1 cup creamy peanut butter, divided
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 egg
¾ cup powdered sugar
Preheat oven to 375˚F.
Stir together the flour, cocoa, baking soda and salt.  Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl fitted with the paddle attachment, beat the sugar, butter and 1/4 cup of the peanut butter until light and smooth.  Add in the vanilla and egg, beating one at a time to combine.  Gradually stir in the flour mixture.  Set dough aside.
To make the filling, cream together the powdered sugar and remaining 3/4 cup of peanut butter until smooth.
To assemble the cookies, spoon a generous tablespoon of chocolate cookie dough and flatten into a circle with your hands.  Scoop a small amount of peanut butter filling mixture and place in the center of the chocolate dough.  Wrap the chocolate dough around the peanut butter filling, pinching ends together to seal.  Roll the cookie in between hands to smooth into a ball.  Roll into a bowl of sugar and place on the cookie sheet.
Use the bottom of a glass to slightly flatten the cookies.  Bake for 7 to 9 minutes.  Do not over bake.  Let cool on wire rack.

No comments:

Post a Comment