Wednesday, July 13, 2011

The kids' bedroom

I have finally finished decorating my kids' room. We have a 2 bedroom townhouse and with 2 kids, there is no choice but for them to share a room. Having a boy and a girl presented a challenge though as far as having a fun theme that would easy to pull off. I tossed around a hand-full of ideas but couldn't settle on anything I loved. I finally threw out the theme idea and decided to make it a room about them. You'll see what I mean as you read on.

The room is a bright green that I've regretted doing since a month after we painted. But I have been determined to make it work since painting is a PAIN!

When I finally got around to decorating after we painted, I was 8 1/2 months pregnant with my little buddy and could only muster up 3 little wall hangings. You can find the post on what I did here.
We added blackout curtains to make napping easier. The curtains aren't so pretty and almost do the job so there is also a blanket hanging up. Oh well, that's a problem for another day. Maybe when we have a tax return coming our way we'll buy expensive blackout blinds and pretty curtains.

So my baby boy came and I found out I'm having a baby girl a year later. Once she arrived, the process really began to take off.

I decide to copy a friend and decorate a letter for each of them. You can find what I did here. Don't mind the adorable baby in the picture. She likes to hog the camera.


My next task was to make something to hang their towels on. I made them a hooded towel but I didn't want them in the bathroom so I grabbed some wood I had on hand, some clearance hooks from Target ($1.49 each), and some scrapbook paper. Glued the paper on the wood and attached the hooks. Pretty simple. Now I can moved the hooks without leaving behind huge holes in the wall.

My last project was a picture collage of some kind. I knew which pictures I wanted to hang so I ordered them from MPix and put them in some frames that I had on hand. The frames got a fresh coat of paint. I just didn't know what else it needed. My sister-in-law works for Uppercase Living and I found 2 perfect vinyl saying to go with the pictures. Once I ordered them, I grabbed some more wood, painted it, and slapped those babies on. I attached everything to wood so we can take them with us. The kids won't always have to share a room and they will be able to keep their wood signs in their own rooms.
What do you think? Not something out of a magazine, but definitely something I can be proud of. And I'm so glad it's done, for now...

2 comments: