Friday, August 19, 2011

Wipe with style

One of my favorite things that I've made of all time is the wipes clutch.  When it was new to the baby world, I thought it was the cutest and most clever thing ever.  I figured out how to make it thanks to the help of a friend since they were selling for double digits and have made them for gifts and myself ever since. 

Since I'm not the best when it comes to tutorials, I did go out in search of one to post.  It is complete with a template and everything.  So not only did I provide the tutorial for you (here you go), but I tested it out.  Here's my finished product...

But it is different from how I normally make them and I'm not sure if I like it as much.  So I guess I will tell you how I do it, but this is not an official tutorial, it is best if you read the other page first and then what I say will make more sense.

So the things I do differently:
-First of all, I have used a few different kinds of fabric and have found that home decor fabric is my favorite.  It is more durable and there are cuter patterns, at least where I look.
-I trace the wipes container and use that template for my batting that way I don't have anything to trim anything.  
-I put batting on the top and the bottom of the container.
-The make a second template for my fabric by tracing around the container but making it between 1/4 to 1/2 larger than the other template.  This is so that the fabric will cover the edges.  
Side note: You could just use the template already provided in the tutorial for both the batting and the fabric.  I would just round the corners where the dotted line is and not cut on the fold of the fabric.  Instead cut 2 separate pieces of fabric.
-You glue only the edges of the fabric down exactly like the other tutorial tells you but of course, you continue all the way around since the fabric doesn't connect on the back part.
-When when you put the trim on, you put it all the way around as well- again because the fabric doesn't cover the back.  The picture shows the difference looking at the back.  Sorry about the bottom one.  The trim is coming undone and I haven't fixed it, not to mention the purples are 2 different colors (my bad for not taking a sample with me to the store when I ran out).


And the finished product...

Since purple trim on the above flap is darker than the bottom, I kept this one for myself.

Happy wiping!

No comments:

Post a Comment